Thursday, July 31, 2014

Fine! He’s Healed. But I Still Don’t Like It!


Luke 5:18 And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. 19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus. 20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. 21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? 22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? 23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? 24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. 25 And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to day.
This scripture reminds me of when Jesus healed the paralytic and told him to take up his bed and walk. He had the nerve to heal him on the Sabbath day and the priests were angry.  “How dare you carry your bed (do work) on the Sabbath day.” Here they aren’t angry over the day or that Christ healed them, but that he did so by forgiving sins. Are you one of these people? Do you get angry because someone’s good works are done different than you were taught?
I have seen it all to often in churches that someone doesn’t like how another saint’s gift works.  Scripture says that Jesus gives each of us several gifts AS HE WILLS; not as WE will.  There are religions over all the earth that will murder you because you do not believe as they do.  Why do we in Christ get so angry because one has prophecy and the other has tongues and interpretation.  I had one person tell me to stop wasting time speaking in tongues and just prophecy to the person I was praying for.  That is great advice except for one thing; my gifts don’t work that way.  My wife receives warnings and prophetic visions in her sleep.  I pray in tongues and THEN I receive the interpretation. 
It’s not your job to denigrate someone’s gift.  Unless they are doing something UNSCRIPTURAL you should rejoice over their gift.  I have Word of Wisdom but not Word of Knowledge.  I know others who have word of Knowledge but not Word of Wisdom.  I’ve had a perfect stranger prophesy to me because they saw me in a vision and two days later saw me in real life.  There are gifts I wish I had and I have certain gifts that I used to wish I didn’t have.  What changed in my life is that I finally realized that I have EXACTLY the gifts that God ordained for me to have.  In addition to that exciting idea, scripture offers me the opportunity to request other gifts that I feel I may want (1 Corinthian 12:31).  Since you are coveting the best gifts from God and He has an unlimited supply, it is the one type of coveting you can do with God’s blessing.
There was a doctor, Patch Adams, who treated the fear and uncertainty of an illness before he treated the patient. His first act was to make you feel comfortable and then, when you weren’t terrified out of your wits, walk you through the treatment process. In the case of this scripture, the man was a sinner.  We know this because Jesus said he was a sinner. Sometimes we will hesitate to come to God because our heart is so guilty. I attend a highly prophetic church and there have been many times over the years when I have wanted to stay home because I feared God would put my stuff out there, let people know I’m not perfect. The only reason for God to shout your sins from the housetop is that you won’t deal with them in a timely manner. Remember, He’s not interested in embarrassing you, He wants you delivered and set free. Run to Him.  He can fix it.
In the scripture above, this man knew he was a sinner. It’s possible he might have stayed in bed till he died if it had not been for his friends. Verse 20 says that Jesus saw THEIR faith.  What faith?  The faith to climb up onto the roof and dig a hole large enough to lower their friend down to Jesus. That act was the faith Jesus saw.  The Bible says that faith works by and is empowered by love. Has a great move of God ever come by stinginess?  All the great moves of God have come because when God sought for a man, someone heard the heart call and shouldered the burden. Whether it was because they loved God or that they loved their friend, it moved them to action which moved God to complete the process.
My wife reminded me yesterday of the scripture that says, “Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend.”  These men loved their friend enough to tear up a roof and make sure that Jesus could see their friend up close and personal.  They didn’t care about the consequences, only about the results.  Their faith healed their friend.  Their faith probably saved their souls by turning them to Christ and God.  They could not have healed their friend; they didn’t have the gifts.  They probably took up offerings for doctors and nothing came of it.  They still loved him enough to climb a roof and tunnel through it to reach Jesus. What love!
On the other hand, the scribes and Pharisees who loved appearances more than results, who lived for the letter of the law rather than the spirit of love, were angered by Christ’s pronouncements, “thy sins be forgiven.” One thing the Jews knew was that only God could heal. Christ settled that one by saying, “Arise, take your bed and go home.”
The man with palsy glorified God and went home. The others were filled with fear and awe and wondered about God’s miracles. In Matthew 12:24, the Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out demons by the prince of demons. Jesus said that no house divided against itself shall stand. Satan who breeds illness, does not heal.  Only God heals.  After their accusation in Matthew 12:24 He ceased speaking to them again.
You may not always like the way God gets things done. You may not like dancing or singing or prophesying, or any number of Christian acts that many in the church enjoy; but NEVER speak against them unless scripture specifically forbids them. You might just find yourself fighting against God, and you can’t win that fight.
Lord, let me see your vision and renew a right spirit within me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment