Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Keeping It REAL


I’m curious and thought I’d ask a question or two.  If you consider yourselves to be Christian, what exactly do you believe? 

Do you believe that the Word of God is indeed His Word and that it is infallible and will always accomplish what it promises?

Do you believe that in the beginning was the Word (of God), before all time, and that the holy and perfect Word became a flesh?

Do you believe that Jesus and Almighty God are one?

Do you believe that Christ died for your sins and that because of His perfect and sinless nature He was able to pay your price on the cross so you might live eternally with God?

Do you believe that your life should be holy and sanctified, held to a higher standard, because of your knowledge of God?

Do you believe that you should share your faith with others and be an active force as the body of Jesus Christ so His authority might work through you?

Do you believe that you are a part of something larger than yourself and that you should be about your Father in Heaven’s business?

I could keep asking questions but the truth is that if you honor God with your lips but your heart and your actions fail to live up to your words, you are just a loud braying horn and clanging cymbal.  I just read an article where a young formerly Christian woman has become a Muslim and was hurt because the college she attended required a letter from her mosque stating she had indeed made the conversion.  Apparently there had been some less than honest souls using religious excuses to expand their rights on campus and the campus had chosen to at least try to identify those who were being honest.

Some of you are no doubt infuriated that the college would dare to require a ‘faith note’ but that wasn’t what jumped into my mind.  What grieved me is that a young woman brought up in a Christian home and attended a Christian church had not learned enough about her God and King to know that what she had was the real article.  What bothered me is that we have watered down our faith and requirements in the church until there is nothing there but smoke and mirrors for young people to believe. 

Christianity is the only true religion in the world.  Yes I know that some of you are screaming at me now but that’s okay too.  I came to Christ as a doubter and questioner of all things spiritual.  God had to prove Himself to me and that never would have happened had I not had good teachers who opened up the doors of Spirit life.  I didn’t stop learning just because someone said I had the basics.  Knowing that Jesus died for your sins is not nearly as important as knowing why through four thousand years of Jewish scriptures and the interconnected Christian writings. 

I didn’t want to stop knowing what the rules were in the Christian faith but I needed to know that the faith itself was real.  I needed to know that Jesus is indeed the Messiah and He is indeed God incarnate.  It’s important to me to have God speak a message to me on Saturday night and then have the Pastor preach that same message on Sunday morning.  It’s important to me to hear a Word from God and have total strangers walk up to me and say, “Thus saith the Lord,” and the word they give is the same I received the night before. 

If I am part of the body of Christ then I ought to get some instructions from the head, the Lord of all.  I don’t want to call myself a Christian just because mom and dad went to church.  My daughter was not filled with the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in other tongues because I kept dragging her to church.  She was filled because I laid a groundwork of faith in God that prompted her to find out for herself if it is true or not.  She and others like her pray every day and together weekly because they have been touched by God, not because I might have been touched in the head.

The reality of our faith can NEVER be experienced by education alone, it must come by prayer and fasting, seeking the Lord in deeper ways until we too begin to experience the spirit / head / body connection of our place in the body of Christ.  This takes discipline and an abiding belief that God’s Word is absolutely true and will accomplish everything it says it will.

For years we have heard know-it-alls tell us that the Bible is untrue and nobody can ever know if it is God breathed and inspired.  That is a gross lie and started on its journey by the father of lies…Satan.  The Word can absolutely be proved to be true in the number of prophecies and promises that have come true on the schedule God set.  It can also be watched for future prophecies to mark them as they come to pass.

We’re not going to win a new generation if we don’t show them the God some of us know so well, nor are we going to show them if we are spending all our time in front of the television soaking up the latest filth and abominations from Hollywood.  Your spiritual minds are not clear while stuffing your flesh with passions of food and passions of lust.  You cannot serve God perfectly unless you learn to embrace the love of God for yourself and understand the full truth and history of all the world’s faiths. 

Does your faith say that only a trained minister can tell you what it means or stands between you and God?  Every cult in the world says that.  God has created His Word so a novice can understand the truth of salvation and has made it so deep that only a Spirit filled scholar or born again computer programmer can study the original text and dig out the moderately deep knowledge.  I say moderately deep because the Jews say that when the Messiah comes He will teach them how even the spaces between the words carry a message.  I personally believe that somewhere between Genesis and Deuteronomy God has written all our names from the beginning of time.  They are hidden but they are there. 

God’s Word is miraculous and wondrous but Satan does not want you to study and he does want you to focus on lies and false faiths.  This spiritual pressure is a constant weight we Christians must battle against and those others do not.  There is no free day or day off for the saints of God.  There are no do overs for those who abandon the faith.  I for one want to continue this fight and win it.  I do not want to be written down in God’s Word as the one who backed out just when I was needed most.

I hope you all answered in the affirmative at the beginning of this.  It will be lonely not to find you there when I step over to the other side.  I love you and pray God will inspire you to do greater and greater works.  A time of testing is here and will get much worse.  Those who only believe on Sunday and weddings will not be able to stand during this shaking.  Get in your Word.  If you don’t study well alone, join a Bible Study.  If you have doubts, write me or speak to someone who you know has a fervent faith in Christ and ask for answers.  Most of all ask your Lord and God to help you stand fast in the truth and to silence all the attacks against you.

Be strong and of good courage beloved.  The work of God is great and He is greatly to be praised.

Bishop J

No comments:

Post a Comment